Cherrystew

March 11, 2005

Yes, We Use MSG!

Several times in my life I have called a restaurant to ask them whether or not they put MSG in their food. I try to avoid it because it's an unnecessary ingredient that has been linked to brain damage and personally causes me to have a general feeling of grossness (as opposed to corn syrup, bleached flour and nitrates, right?). One time I called a Chinese take-out...

So I ask them, "Do you use MSG in your food?".

I suspected they might since many restaurants do, but I didn't expect anything like the response I got. With the happiness of a wee babe rejoined with his Mother, the man replied, "Oh Yes! Ma'am, we doooo!" It was so enthusiastic, so proud. Right above their first dollar bill there was probably a sign that said, "We Proudly Put MSG in All Your Food!"

So today, years later, after settling for pizza, I once again experienced the loyalty produced by our Glutamate friend when I called a local restaurant to ask the same question. Now, nothing can compare to the Chinese place, but I received the same child-like wonder and awe at the existence and use of this chemical. Again, the voice peppy and glad said, "Yes, we do use MSG!" I felt like saying, "Great! I won't be eating at your restaurant ever again!"

The sad thing is that even if they don't add MSG to your food, many ingredients that they buy probably already have it. Oh well, we're all so glad, so very, very glad.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home